Middletown's Poet Laureate
The Middletown Commission on the Arts is pleased to announce the appointment of Cheryl Anne Hale as the city's new Poet Laureate. Hale's works have been featured in several publications including Long River Run, The Subway Ride, and numerous issues of Perspectives. She was also selected by Connecticut Poetry Society's as Spotlight Poet for September 2018. Ms. Hale is thrilled to have been chosen as Middletown's second Poet Laureate, and humbled by the job ahead. She will be officially welcomed at the MCA's annual Arts Advocacy Award Ceremony in March.
Mayor Dan Drew and the Middletown Commission on the Arts (MCA) present Middletown's Poet Laureate criteria.
- Nominees must be at least 18 years of age at the time of appointment
- The poet Laureate must have a strong desire to be actively engaged in the community by performing his or her own work and/or sharing his or her own work and talent with the public.
- Poets may self-nominate or be nominated by a Middletown resident.
- Nominees may not be MCA Commissioners or MCA Staff.
- Nominees must be full time Middletown residents for at least one year prior to the nomination date.
- Nominees must be experienced in the field of poetry and able to fulfill the required duties of the position.
Poet Laureate Opportunities
- A reception in their honor.
- Promote awareness of poetry in Middletown by participating in city and statewide events as an official representative of the City of Middletown.
- Promote at least one public event per year or as requested by the Mayor and/or the MCA.
- Foster public appreciation of and participation in poetry and literary arts activities in schools, colleges and the local literary community.
- Represent Middletown within the Connecticut Coalition of Poets Laureate.
Terms of Service
- The City Poet Laureate will serve for a term of 3 years with the possibility of renewal.
- As an official representative of the City of Middletown, the Poet Laureate must maintain Middletown residency during his or her term.
- The City Poet Laureate will be a nonvoting Member of the Middletown Commission on the Arts.